8 Ministers Who Have Helped Shape My Spiritual Journey
Having been a Christian for over 30 years now and being in ministry for over 20 years I have heard my fair share of sermons. Unfortunately, it takes a lot to really impress me these days when it comes to communicators. There are some great communicators out there. But there are some really bad ones as well.
Wayne Combs, was a great pastor and a great preacher. I heard a lot of really enthusiastic preachers growing up but looking back I realize that they said a lot without really saying anything at all. I have done that myself at times.
- Greg Boyd: Greg is based out of Minneapolis/St. Paul. He is a theologian and scholar. He is smart, articulate and has a way of being in the Charismatic stream without all the crazy, hooky stuff that sometimes goes along with that stream. He is very kingdom-minded. He probably has one of the most balanced kingdom messages of anyone I know today.
- Bruxy Cavey: Bruxy is a very down-to-earth communicator. He pastors one of the largest churches in Canada, doesn’t look like a mega-church pastor and exudes humility like no one I know. And he’s highly educated with a knack for breaking down complex theological issues so that any one can understand them. He’s funny, engaging and one can tell that he really loves Jesus.
- Brian Zahnd: Brian is a pastor from St. Joseph, MO. He is a thinker, scholar, brilliant writer and poet, not to mention a die-hard music lover. His sermons are deep but yet followable. Unlink most people who come from a charismatic/Pentecostal background, Brian believes in learning from church history, weaving the past into our present. He’s somewhat of a modern day mystic. He believes in the mystery of God and it’s quite compelling.
- Jonathan Martin: Jonathan is not pastoring right now but I listened to his podcasts every week when he pastored Renovatus Church in Charlotte, NC. A third-generation hillbilly Pentecostal (as he describes himself), Jonathan is a brilliant thinker and communicator that believes in the dance and shout of expression but also holds tothe deep, rich church liturgy that has brought us to where we are today. He is a great mix of an old soul in a modern, young minister.
- Stephen Crosby: Stephen is more of an author these days writing books and blog posts but his works are incredible. He takes on the misdirection of the modern church (especially the charismatic, apostolic/prophetic tribe) with great compassion yet hard-hitting truth of a prophet. He is certainly a voice to listen to.
- John Sheasby: John is on a mission to restore the picture of God as a Father to His children in these times. He preaches on the New Covenant and God’s amazing grace. With a deep understanding of grace he is a very fatherly voice to the body of Christ today.
- Anthony Chapman: Anthony is a British pastor with a keen way of thinking through complex issues. He is an exceptionally clever wordsmith that is not afraid to challenge the status quo and see things through kingdom eyes. A brilliant thinker and communicator, Anthony has challenged me in my thinking for many, many years now.
- Harold Eberle: Harold is an author and minister who has written numerous books, established Bible colleges in Africa and the Middle East. His heart is to win 20 million Muslims to Christ. He is a thinker and excellent teacher. He has challenged me numerous times over the last 15 years.